[Coco] Using a CoCo disk drive with a BBC computer

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Feb 17 17:14:03 EST 2007

It was common for DECB ("RS-DOS") users to modify the ROM to address floppy drives in the same manner. It was a very popular feature of ADOS. I believe some people actually hard wired the drive to work that way, but the easiest way is to modify the ROM code. When the ROM was modified , OS-9 could be booted and still use the two double sided 40 track drives as full 360K drives instead of two 35 or 40 track drives. Another common option used with ADOS was making the drive 40 instead of 35 track as well. A 40 track formatted disk can still be read on a 35 track drive,  just the data on the extra five tracks couldn't be read. Of course a 40 track drive would read a 35 track disk.

The double sided drive as two drives and 40 track option can be poked into memory on the CC3 or on the CC2 (when in all RAM mode). That's good for temporary use only, of course. Some people just saved the pokes in a short BASIC or ML to make the mods when needed.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"

Message: 8