[Coco] Using a CoCo disk drive with a BBC computer

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 15:24:07 EST 2007

Dan Olson wrote:
> Tandy floppy drives are standard drives, they just have all the drive
> selects jumpered, as they're designed for a cable which only has one DS
> wire connected.  Don't know about the BBC...

The BBC uses standard drives either jumpered as DS0 or DS1 (it can only
normally have 2 drives, a restriction of the firmware), however the way
these are handled is quite clever.

side 0 of first drive is drive 0
side 0 of second drive is drive 1
side 1 of first drive is drive 2
side 1 of second drive is drive 3

In this way if you write a single sides disk on a double sided drive the
drive numbers stay the same, also a double sided disk can be written in
a single sided drive as long as only drives 0 and 1 are used.

To answer the OP's question, I have used my CoCo/Dragon drives with no
problems on my BBC and BBC Master, plus a few other 80's micros too :)

Cheers.

Phill.