[Coco] Step down transformer for use in UK / Use on TV in UK

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 15 15:30:06 EST 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007, Leon Howell wrote:
>> In the UK, the standard voltage is 240 volts. Therefore, I need to
>> purchase a step-down transformer.
>
>If you use a step down transformer, be careful about the ac frequency.
> 50hz power supplies used at 60hz have been known to overheat.

Its the reverse of that Leon.  Using a 60 hz tranny on 50 hz, you need to
derate it about 20% because of the lower frequencies increased heat due
to core saturation effects.  And some real borderline, not enough iron in
them cheapies are just asking for an unexpected visit from the fire dept.

Running a 50 hz rated transformer on 60 hz usually results in much cooler
operation overall.  The core never comes anywhere near saturation then so
its nice & efficient.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)