[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: POKE 65495,0

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 11:46:49 EST 2007

>From: jdaggett at gate.net
>
>There was a second generation of the SAM chip called 74LS785 that I think
>appeared in the
>Coco2. One of its main features was to extend the refresh counter from 7
>bits to 8 bits. This
>allowed the usage of 64Kx1 dram chips. Since I don't have a spec sheet on
>the 74LS785, so
>I can't verify that any other functions have changed. From what I have read
>the 74LS785 is
>pin for pin compatible with the 74LS783/MC6883.
>
>james
>
>--

As far as the FAST mode issue is concerned, the datashet for the 74LS785
indicates that its bahavior is identical to the 74LS783/MC6883.
Specifically, it states that both RAM refresh and VDG access are not
provided in FAST mode.

It describes the differences from the 6883 as:

The SN74LS785 has been modified to support 16K x 4 and 64K x 1 (256 column
refresh) dynamic RAMs. A further enhancement allows for the LS785 to support
low power dynamic ROMs (such as MCM68364) without additional logic.