[Coco] OT: Vista and MS patent application, Linux

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Feb 4 17:14:01 EST 2007

At 01:59 PM 2/4/2007, you wrote:

>Yeah, I totally agree with Gene here... But for more selfish reasons.
>*wink wink* I'd love to see a version of Portal-9 -or- Rainbow IDE for
>Linux. Open source would be nice as well, but I know you have a two-fold
>reason for creating these IDEs: the community, and money for those
>hosting bills. The last reason being enough to keep it closed source, I
>guess. Although, I'm pretty sure a donation button would help keep
>things going. I say this only because I've seen people around here pay
>out for your projects when you've asked for help, Roger.

My only request is that the open source world should leave the
private source world alone, and vice-versa.  There's obviously a
major difference, with both having their own place in the software market.

I think that many programmers are using free tools to create software
that has a price tag, and there's programmers who use paid software
to create free and open source software, so the two worlds compliment
each other in a way.  Neither is going anywhere.  Neither will
diminish.  People must make a living to eat and pay bills while some
people have all this free time (I don't see how they do if they are a
parent or have their own house and life duties), and if their talent
is programming then I say Create what people need and want and when
they just won't buy it anymore, it should be placed in the public
domain or offered for free use, or even donated to an open source movement.

now some humor
Wanna make an open source junkie puke?  Show him the historic
articles of the author of Apple Writer who was making over $7000 a
day in ROYALTIES back in the 80's.  He was "fiercely independent"
from what I read.  Isolated in a cabin in the hills; a cabin that HE
built out of chopped trees, he alone crafted a masterpiece software
title that people and schools flocked to buy.  Wierd story, but just
another example of how one guy can create better than 30 if he puts
his mind to it.

I personally think some open source projects should be semi-open, as
in elite group development.  I wouldn't let anyone into the circle if
his goal is to screw things up or slow down development.  One such
title could very well crippled my software development efforts unless
I learn a new language.  HLA 1.x is fine, but 2.x may become open
source (or the STDLIB will).  People from all over the world use HLA
and if it becomes an open source mess, I'll have to move to a
commercial title that's proven stable to protect my own stability.  ;)

--
Roger Taylor