[Coco] OT: Vista and MS patent application, Linux

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Sun Feb 4 14:22:10 EST 2007

Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Rumor has it that Mannequin* may have mentioned these words:

>> Oh... and no having to build a new kernel. I haven't done that in years. :)
>
> Unless you want a *much* more efficient (memory & CPU) Kernel... but you
> are right - the current module system is *very* good at grabbing what the
> hardware needs & just running with it.

There are also other things that auto-detect your hardware that then use
the appropriate module. When they first introduced it a few years ago (I
was using Debian on a PPC back then) it was broke more often than it
worked. After tweaking /etc/modules enough, it started to work the way I
wanted it to. :)

> BTW, I've heard SimplyMepis is a very good beginner distro as well... but
> I've not tried it. I've been a Linux geek for over a decade now, and I
> don't take the easy way out... ;-) [[ Well, except the SuSE 9.2 Pro install
> on the wife's machine... she likes the pretty pictures, I like the simple
> administration. ]]

Wow, I think I'm going on my first decade (if I haven't passed that
mark) already... Have you tried Ubuntu's live CD? That'll pretty much
tell you if it works 'out-of-the-box' or not.

-M.