[Coco] OT: Vista and MS patent application, Linux

Mannequin* mannslists at invigorated.org
Sun Feb 4 12:38:49 EST 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:

> Linux can be free for all, and shipped to us for free, but that's not
> going to be the reason people ditch Windows, nor will they give up
> their addictions, ways of thinking, simplicity, habits, business
> requirements, etc. for an OS that doesn't have a "just make it work"
> concept.  I love Linux, but it is just the opposite of "just make it
> work".  It's more like, "learn how to program, then recompile the
> kernel or drivers and see if that makes it work".  ;)  Not gonna happen.

Roger, you want something that just works? Try Ubuntu. It just works for
my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1705 with most [if not all] of the fixings).
The only that I have to compile is the 'Network Manager' because it
doesn't support my wireless card 'out of the box'. (That's because there
are a few problems with the version that they are distributing.) But
that's pretty much like Windoze, I have to install proprietary *shivers*
ATI drivers for my video card, and a few other things that are just an
'apt-get' (or for you GUI lovers, Synaptic) away. 'Nuff said.

Oh... and no having to build a new kernel. I haven't done that in years. :)

-M.