[Coco] Scanning documents

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 08:48:49 EST 2007

I use Adobe Acrobat V6.0 Professional in conjunction with my CanoScan 5200F
scanner to create PDF's of the Colour Computer Documentation that I have
uploaded to The Maltedmedia FTP site.

I believe it does a very good job, and creates relatively small files,
provided I don't want to be able to search for text in the file. For
example, the latest one I uploaded, OS-9 Pascal.pdf, is 169 pages, which
comes out at 1,396,855 bytes, and 1,404,891 bytes if I include bookmarks for
all the chapters.

If however, I run the file through the OCR section of Acrobat, it increases
the file size to 4,501,469 bytes.

I uploaded the second type to Maltedmedia. The text is very clear; I scan at
300 DPI, in black and white with text enhancement turned on. I scan the
front and rear covers in colour at the same DPI setting.

If anyone particularly wants the OCR'd version, I can make it available, if
someone wants to host it.

I noticed that someone else has been scanning the manuals, and saving the
pages separately as TIFF files (which are themselves huge), and then making
a PDF file from that. This makes for very large PDF files, unfortunately.

Any comments for improvements are always welcome. I am by no means an expert
at this; I'm learning as I go along.

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.