[Coco] Ann: FUSE Support for Toolshed

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Fri Feb 23 08:33:26 EST 2007

Linux and Mac users will be happy to learn that FUSE support is now
part of the ToolShed project.  FUSE is a user-land file system
package that allows programmers to easily add a file system on one of
the supported operating system.  File system development can be
difficult to debug because of its inherent system-state properties,
and FUSE makes this much easier.

The big advantage here is that you can use native tools like Mac OS
X's Finder and Linux's Nautlius File Browser to browse both OS-9 and
Disk BASIC disk images.  Now with FUSE support available, you can
simply mount a disk image as if it were a block device and start
copying files to/from the disk image, view and edit files, create
directories (in the case of OS-9), etc.

The integration of FUSE into the ToolShed project was relatively easy
based upon the architectural decisions made in the project early on,
and with additional testing that I hope will come from interested
developers in this community, I believe this will become an integral
part of development for the CoCo.  Windows users should know that
FUSE is being worked on for that platform; hopefully someone from the
community will take an active part in supporting ToolShed for Windows.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
Email: boisy at boisypitre.com
Web: http://www.boisypitre.com/