[Coco] OT: Need someone w/a PC and 5.25" drive, CD-R to copy discs

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sat Feb 3 11:36:21 EST 2007

I've got a set of DOS 3.21, GW-BASIC, and Windows 2.0 originally from a Zenith Z-248 286 machine. It was orignally an 8 MHz 286, but with a backplane design. I remember we had some 386 borads in a few of ours (military had a contract w/Zwnith for PCs in the mid to late 80s). Anyway, when I left my old computer room job I managed to save a set of discs from the dumpster. We had replaced all the old beasts and were using Win95 at the time.

Naturally, I no longer have a 5.25"/360K drive. I know some of you do. What I want to do is copy the disks to a CD-R, each floppy in a separate file named whatever is on the disk label. Anyone willing to do this? I'll send the originals, and you can keep a copy for yourself if you want. If you want something else for this service, tell me what it is. I will swap a copy of "Tandy's Little Wonder" or pay a reasonable fee. Please e-mail me if willing to do this -- farna AT att DOT net.

I don't suppose a 5.25" drive could be connected to a 3.5" USB drive controller and be expected to work? I know the 3.5" USB drive would have to come apart. These are the only 5.25" disks I have anymore, so I'm not real concerned about the drive. I was just thinking that a 5.25" drive in an external case would be a nice thing for CoCo users who still have the old floppies. Just a thought!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"