[Coco] Using a Commodore 1084S with the CoCo

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Dec 21 13:52:27 EST 2007

Frank Swygert wrote:
> Diego, download "Tandy's Little Wonder" from the list site (under
> Farna). There is a section on monitors that has the simple circuit
> (just a NOR gate) to combine the sync  for the CoCo3. At the time the
> book was written there was only one 1084S, and it worked fine with a
> straight through wired cable. Seems these others (D1 and D2) are
> similar to some of the older Sony and Atari ST monitors.
So maybe the Commodore monitor can handle either positive- or
negative-going sync, whereas the CM-8 gets a migraine if it doesn't get
what it wants to see.  And Torsten Dittel says the monitor can extract
the composite sync out of the CoCo's composite video signal, so you
might even be able to get away without using any TTL chips at all, if
you don't mind hooking up to both the RGB port and the video out on the
CoCo 3.

JCE