[Coco] glork!!!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 17 18:28:29 EST 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007, Manny wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Specifically, ..printf("foo bar\n") returned -79xxx and
>>> ... printf("%s\n","foo bar") returns 31744!
>>>
>>> Very very strange.
>>
>> You are leaving out the output format specifier in the first case Willard.
>>  Go look up printf in any C reference book.  Also, the "foo bar" should
>> point at the defined variables.  Either that or bit rot has gotten to your
>> copy...
>>
>> Normal syntax would be:
>>
>> printf("list-of-format-strings\r", nameofvar, nameofvar, etc);
>>
>> That's off the top of my head, but that's how I remember it, having
>> written a bunch of stuff in C.
>
>Both of Willard's examples are perfectly fine for ANSI C. I would
>suspect that the same would be held for K&R C, as well.
>
>An interesting note about the return value of printf in gcc:
>
>printf ("%d\n", printf ("foo bar\n"));
>
>Returns the number of characters that were printed to stdout. (Which
>would be 8 in this case.)

Which, using the above syntax, would appear to be correct.  And I think you
would get the same result if a puts("foo bar\n"); was done but its been so
long I won't go anywhere near a bible and say that. :)

>So, unless I've missed the whole point of this post, which I normally
>end up doing, the return values of the printf function is weird. :)

I don't think it was the return values, but what it was actually printing, so
his strings were being interpreted as numbers somehow, or at least that is
how I read it.

>If there any source to his libs?

The Kreider libs?  I might have some of that on my coco if I can figure out
how to get it up here to this linux box.  And if I recognized it when I saw
it. :)  I built that trig lib by the south american who sent it to Rainbow
before he died, and I seem to recall I needed to rebuild the Kreider libs
because of a module ordering problem one of my programs had, but that was
close to 20 years ago before I started the fade of advanced years.  It may
also be on rsti, I haven't looked there recently.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)