[Coco] Coco "Flash2" cartridge progress

Ty S ty140 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 13:35:03 EST 2007

> Not bad, close! Programming the flash is a little more complicated than > simply writing to an address, so the process is a little more involved and > not quite as efficient - not that it matters because it's not something that > needs to be done very often.> > I was going to implement a mode, set by writing a register, where the *next* > write (only) was also shadowed by the flash.> > Since I have A14 at my disposal, I'll simply use a mode that shadow writes > to either of two 16KB blocks, until that mode is disabled. I'll still need > to write some assembler to do the programming (with interrupts disabled) but > that's the basic theory at least.

The first time I read your post, I missed the part about not having access to A14 -- that would complicate matters.  Of course, since you're using a CPLD, you could always have had a machine state to perform some set-up before writing a whole bank -- e.g., a value on the data bus selects one of your 16K banks so A14 is not necessary.

Ack, that's the last time I enter a contest without reading the fine print!  :)

Ty