[Coco] NitrOS9 Level 2 Question

Ed Orbea ed.orbea at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 19:28:08 EST 2007

I'm stumped and am looking for some help.

I have a 128kb CoCo3 (6809) with a DISTO II floppy controller and two
360kb DSDD Teac 5.25 drives (48 tpi, 40 cylinders), running NitrOS9
Level II. My NitrOS9 master disk was custom built to utilize the DISTO
controller instead of the standard Tandy controller as well as
40.dd,d0,d1 instead of the default 35.dd,d0,d1. I have had no problems
with this setup and use DSKINI and OS9 to transfer disk images
downloaded onto my PC to copy to OS9/RSDOS diskettes, as well as execute
diskettes purchased from Ebay and other sources. Basically the systems
works weel, so I supposed I should not of "messed with it"

Recently, via Ebay I scored a spare floppy drive chassis into which I
have installed two Teac 5.25 FD-55GFRs (96tpi, 80 cylinders). I have
modified the drives according to the information from the oldskool web
site regarding rotation speed, etc

When I use one of the 55-GFRs as drive 1 (after using dmode to change
the specs) I can format a diskette in the drive with the following
characteristics:
Size: 5.25
sect/track: 18
track 0 sect/track: 19
total cylinders: 80
Track offset: 0
Sector offset: 1
Min Sector Allocation: 8
Format: FM
Track Density: 96
# of cylinders: 80
# of surfaces: 2
sector interleave: 3

I can reliably read/write/format/delete/etc files and directories on the
disks in the 55-GRF drive.

So I decided to create a new NitrOS-9 boot disk that will utulize the
new drives.
I used the following process:
Drive 0 "360" drive
Drive 1 55-GFR drive
Boot NitrOS9
Edit the standard.bl file to "asterisk out" the 35 and 40 track entries
and utilize the 80 track entries (/dd, /d0, /d1).
Run the mb script which successfully completes with /d1 as the target
Run dsave to copy the other files from the /d0 drive to the /d1 drive
Power off all equipment
Swap drive chassis (the durrent one with a 360 and the FD-55GFR) with
the new one (dual FD-55-GFRs)
Power on the components
Boot NitrOS9 with the newly created boot disk
Everything works as one would normally expect up until the point that
i2xto is displayed on the boot screen.

Specifically i2 is displayed, followed by xto, then the system
"freezes". Normally at the point that i2xto is displayed, the next
sequence which is the execution of the "startup" file happens. My
startup file just does some echos and then asks for date and time (which
is the default NitrOS9 Level II startup file).

So my question, is what have I missed, and what should I look for to
resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance.