[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 53, Issue 28

carl j england mrspock12 at juno.com
Wed Dec 26 20:16:37 EST 2007

the sector that is missing (if i remember correctly and it doesn't really
matter) is sector 17.  the missing sector was replaced with sector #80
which the program MUST read.  there is no data there but the program
checks it to make sure that you aren't using a copy.  there are many ways
to create a track with the "illegal" sector number, but i would just use
"the defeater".  it is a program that i wrote in 1995 and it is availible
from many coco sites (i placed it into the public domain).  it will
assist you in making a copy of any copy-protected disk.  the operative
word is ASSIST.  at the time i wrote the program, i didn't believe that
software could analyze copy-protection and make copies without human
intervention.  the defeater is very easy to use in this case and will
easily create a copy-protected disk that you can copy sands of egypt or
shamus to.  (you will have to do a sector-by-sector copy or use a backup
program that doesn't abort on errors--i think i included backupfx with
the defeater.  backupfx is a short basic program that patches disk basic
backup command to stop the abort on error)