[Coco] Atari OS-9 (Was: Re: New upload to clubltdstudios.com)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Aug 21 21:23:53 EDT 2007

Bob Devries wrote:
> Hi Joel,
>
> The problem with the Atari port of OS-9 is that it relies heavily on
> the Atari ROM-based GEMDOS environment, which is different from the
> Coco OS-9, which uses none of the ROM code.
>
> To "separate" the OS-9 part from the GEMDOS part would, I think, be a
> major undertaking.

Interesting.
But certainly such reliance is limited to a few of the modules?  I mean,
I can see them using ROM calls to support Atari-specific hardware.  But
those modules would be the ones one would want to replace anyway.  From
the point of view of someone wanting to modify the Atari emulator to
become an MM/1 emulator, would the use of ROM calls make a difference?
As long as the basic OS-9 module system is essentially intact, one could
just start adding emulator support for MM/1 hardware alongside the
'hybrid' Atari stuff, and just drop the Atari bits as each MM/1
component came on line.  One bit of hardware that the Atari and the MM/1
share would be the 68901MFP.  One might be able to bring MM/1 modules
for that over to the Atari emulator without too much modification.  That
probably depends on how differently the hardware is used between the two
machines.

I guess I'd better fire up ARANYM and see if I can get OS-9 to boot.
Now I'm intrigued.
> As far as I know, OS-9/68K was written in C, so reverse engineering it
> would be painful.

My understanding was that the original 68K OS-9 was written in assembly
language, but OS-9000 was written in C.

By the way, I believe there was a K-Windows port to the Atari.  Am I
remembering correctly?  Does anybody have a copy?

JCE