[Coco] rant/request: thread hijacking

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 20:00:23 EDT 2007

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:50:51 +1000, Mark McDougall
<msmcdoug at iinet.net.au> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Mike Pepe wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm alone in making this request, but when you
>> have a new topic, please don't reply to another thread and just change
>> the subject.
>
>Just curious as to which thread you saw this in... I've seen it occasionally
>here and in other mailing lists I subscribe to, but thought it was
>Thunderbird that caused the problem?!?

Some programs only use the reference header line for threading.  When
you reply and change the subject, the new message references the one
used to send to the list, so it get threaded with that message.

Stephen