[Coco] Curses, foiled again!

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Aug 18 01:15:13 EDT 2007

>From: "Paul Fitch" <pfitchjr at bellsouth.net>
>Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:34:04 -0400
>

>I've got c-prep---19 installed.  I'll do the #IFNDEF first.

OK, that's good.

>I still suspect the curses.c file is currupted somehow, someway

Looking it over, I did find one more problem:  Both curses.c and
curses.h end without a final newline.

This is a problem for OS-9 because the readln system call, used to
read ASCII type files, won't return anything unless it finds a
newline.  If it finds the end of file without a newline, it simply
returns the eof. :-(

This means that curses.c effectively ends without a #endif to match
the #ifdef MAIN... and curses.h doesn't actually define wscroll(). :-(

OK, since this sort of thing is a major pain to fix in OS-9, I've put
a new version of the archive up on
http://www.sdc.org/~goosey/os9/curses.lzh
with the eol problem fixed.

This isn't actually a bug in OS-9.  It's documented, after all. ;-)
The OS was carefully written this way.  Really, this only shows up
with text files imported from other machines with sloppier
conventions.

Which is really making me wonder about this curses package.   Except
for the newlines, which are proper OS-9 cr's, it doesn't look like an
OS-9 source file.  I wonder if that Waggoner d00d was using a cross
compiler on a Mac or Amiga?

Either that, or I'm wondering if some versions of lha don't hack off
terminating newlines.

>because when I run the C Beutifier like this --> cb <curses.c
>>curses.cb it crashes the emulator.  The ident on CB shows a good
>CRC.

Can't help you there, never used it.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org