[Coco] Above 512k upgrades

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Aug 14 12:47:22 EDT 2007

On 14 Aug 2007 at 9:08, John W. Linville wrote:

> IIRC, isn't there something about the video memory offsets that needs
> to be handled as well?  Sorry, I don't have a GIME reference handy to
> ask a more specific question...
>
> John

The GIME MMU uses only 6 bits to form the part of the Address from A13 to
A18. Other methods extend the addressing range beyond that. IF you setup
extra memory as blocks of 512K, then you will  have to to little to any
existing software. One approach  is to have essentially super task switching
to where one or more programs can run in their own 512K block.

There are ot her possibilities for usage for large memory. Still t he limiting
throughput is the fact that the current speed of GIME and MPU combined.

james