[Coco] Above 512k upgrades

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Aug 13 20:37:35 EDT 2007

On 13 Aug 2007 at 17:38, Gary Coulbourne wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Chester A Patterson wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know where one could purchase (paypal/plastic) a 1MB or
> > more RAM upgrade kit for Coco3?
>
> How do these actually work?  I understand the MMU for the standard
> 512k, but I must admit to being somewhat baffled with the larger
> ones.  Do they provide an additional page table for mapping, or
> something of the kind?  Thanks!
>
> Peace,
> Gary

While the standard MMU will only access 512K RAM, there are methods to
extend this. All are essentially paging 512K blocks of memory. The GIME
chip has an unallocated registers at $FF96, $FF98, and $FF9B. One can
use on of these bytes to act as a page register to select up to 256 banks of
512K of RAM.

The external board would have to do some address decode for what ever
you wish. I believe the common used address is $FF9B.

james