[Coco] PART NEEDED

Darren A. darccml at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:46:09 EDT 2007

>From: Roger Merchberger
>Subject: Re: [Coco] PART NEEDED
>Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:42:19 -0400
>

>Another part number that can work is the 68764 - they're both pin & voltage
>compatible, but IIRC the '64 came in faster speeds and might've had a "low
>power mode" or somesuch - I'd have to check datasheets to be sure.... but
>for the CoCo's sake, they're equivalent.  That said, I have a metric
>buttload of them, but they're in special carriers as these chips were also
>used in the Panasonic HHC which were very popular with insurance sales
>markets.

The difference between the 68764 and 68766 is that the 64 goes into a low
power standby mode when the output enable is high. The 66 was available in
speeds as fast as 300 ns, whereas the fastest 64 available was a 350 ns.

Someone reported some flakiness using the 64 in a disk controller. Changing
to a 66 fixed the problem. Never used a 64 myself so I can't backup that
claim.

Darren