[Coco] PART NEEDED

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sat Aug 11 07:11:02 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----

From: "Mike Kandrac"

> Does anyone know where of if its still possible to get

> the  extended color basic chip ? im in need of several

At this point in time, my understanding is, that the only legal sources are
chips pulled from old Color Computers.

The ROMs on the CoCo 1 and early (Non A & B models) CoCo 2s were a Motorola
specification chip and not directly compatible with the 27XX line of EPROMS.
If you can get a supply of their EPROM equivalent and a programmer for them
you might be able to bootleg a few.

Once-upon-a-time I loaded a program from cassette to put the computer into
all RAM mode and then loaded a ROM image from cassette.  Of course on
shutdown the unit reverted to Color Basic.

The cheapest route may well be to snag Extended Color Basic machines from
eBay or other sources.  Although, a few years ago, there was a person
on-line who was selling the parts from pieced out Color Computers.

Bruce W.