[Coco] DVD Archival - Was Re: Roger Taylors Coco DVD

Chris Lomont cocoarch at lomont.org
Fri Aug 10 19:46:52 EDT 2007

DVD archive quality is NOT quite that cut and dried, though. 70+ years
assumes the DVD has very special storage conditions, is not being used,
and you are very lucky on many fronts. A slightly older NIST study
(http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/docs/StabilityStudy.pdf) found that
although some DVD versions may last tens of years, they also found
considerable variation among manufacturers and even found some disks may
fail in as short a time as a *few weeks* if they are in sunlight (which
eats the dyes in recordable DVDs/CDs), not to mention the variation on
DVD and CD burners, writing speed, etc.

So please don't buy into the marketing claims that DVDs or CDs are good
for archival backup. I know a few photographers that have made this
mistake only to find their photos eaten after only a few years, even
using name brand backups.

Thus the best backup is multiple backups, with frequent comparisons to
remove and replace rotting data as soon as possible. For my work I use
an offsite RAID system, and that is even backed up to single drives from
time to time.