[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 49, Issue 24

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 7 21:36:27 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Paul Fitch wrote:
>> Message: 10
>> Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 02:50:39 -0600
>> From: Willard Goosey <goosey at virgo.sdc.org>
>> Subject: [Coco] screen editors
>> To: coco at maltedmedia.com
>>
>> I usually use uemacs, though it certainly does have buffer size
>> limits.
>>
>> stevie is also a reasonable choice, but be careful with it:  It's a vi
>> clone, so it uses <escape> a lot... but doesn't catch the EOF signal
>> OS-9 sends it if you type the wrong esc-key combo.
>>
>> For big stuff I use ds.  It's rock solid, and can handle files bigger
>> that its buffer, but uses Wordstar keybinds.
>>
>> There's also scred, in the Dev System.  Like TS-EDIT it sort-of
>> pretends to be vi.
>>
>> I've only used the linux version of VED, which probably doesn't have
>> the same look-and-feel of the OS-9 original, since it uses the
>> f1-f7 keys. ;-)
>>
>> Willard
>> --
>> Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
>> Socorro, New Mexico, USA
>> "I've never been to Contempt!  Isn't that somewhere in New Mexico?"
>>    --- Yacko
>
>What is ds?

DynaStar, the text editor package of a group of packages that Frank Hogg
Laboratories sold way back then.  There was also a DynaCalc, which I used to
do my taxes with for several years, until WV finally succeeded in building a
re-entrant tax law that when you did it their way, gave you a different
answer everytime you pressed the recalc key.  At that point I said screw it
and handed it all over to H&R Block.  Both were really excellent pieces of
software in their time.  There were at least 2 more packages in that family,
DynaSpell comes to mind and the last one may have been Dyna(Print/Form I
forget which).  I never saw either of those two however since at the time I
was working on PrintForm, which worked great till the ink squirters took over
for the daisy wheels and pin pounders (dot matrix) of the day.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

	- comment from drivers/net/ne.c