[Coco] NitrOS-9 instant boot CoCo

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sun Aug 5 16:46:23 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> I'm trying to gather the setups some of you OS-9/NitrOS-9 users have in
> place that allows you to hit the power button on your CoCo then have the
> OS-9 prompt within a few seconds, with no moving hard drives or MPI, or
> DriveWire cable (although that's a very nice idea).
>
> Can the SuperIDE interface do this, and if so, what add-ons are needed?
> What about a NItrOS-9 ROM that completely boots up from the ROM?  If so,
> can this ROM be put on a 32 kByte EPROM and replace the CoCo 3 ROM.
> What about piggybacking an EPROM on the CoCo motherboard and clipping
> some pins on the old ROM?  Anyone done this kind of hack to avoid the
> infamous killer desolder job?

Roger:

	The SuperIDE does that 'from the factory'. At least if you have NitrOS9 on a CF
installed by Cloud-9.

	Mine takes 10 seconds to boot from the CF (loads a bunch of stuff on startup)
if I bypass the 15 second timeout that lets you chose OS9 or DECB. Just a
SuperIDE plugged into the ROM port (and a 15" LCD display).

--
Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft