[Coco] Mess Question

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Sun Aug 5 11:55:24 EDT 2007

tim lindner wrote:
> Manny <cocolist at invigorated.org> wrote:
>
>> This makes me wonder if the Python module that helps MESSyFront isn't
>> working correctly, though... How long have these options been in the
>> CoCo3 ROM for MESS?
>
> I added the hard disk option about two years ago. But the others have
> been there since the near begining.
>
> flop[0-3] is kind of new. MESS used to accept up to 4 unindexed -flop
> switches.

Okay, I did a little looking, and the Python module in MESSyFront is
flawed for SDLMESS. MESSyFront looks for the version number of the
executable that you are MESSing around from. xMESS used the '-V' option
for getting it's version number, whereas SDLMESS uses '-v'.

This causes MESSyFront to not find the version number, which causes it
to use the '-floppydisk' option that was present in older versions of
xMESS, I think, possibly the CoCo ROM. I've done a quick fix, that
doesn't fix the problem, but makes MESSyFront assume that when it can't
get the version number of the MESS executable, it defaults to using
'-flop[0-3]'.

Soooo, after all of that explaining, that means that I did know about
the change, but forgot. :)

Thanks, Tim! You've helped this lazy guy out!

-M.