[Coco] VCC Emu problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 20:45:48 EDT 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> And don't forget that the 1.2 meg drive spins at 360 rpm, not 300, and
>> that it expects its data to 500 kilobaud, not 250 kilobaud.
>
>Though if the floppy driver is correctly written when you try and write
>in a standard double density format it should be able to tell the drive
>to use 250K, which is IIRC why my 1.2 sounds different when reading a
>360K floppy to when it's reading a 1.2M. Cirtainly it sounds to me like
>the speed is changing.

Humm, what floppy controller do you have, Phill?

There is not to my knowledge, any facility available in the std shack
controllers that can change the drives speed.  Any such option in the drives
became available a half a decade (or more) after all the 1773 controllers
designs had already been obsoleted by the makers, including Tony D's stuff.

I believe the 500 kilobaud conversion for the original 12 volt shack
controller does enable that however.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)