[Coco] Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:02:01 EDT 2007

On 8/4/07, Briza <bpa65117 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Manney.
>
> My new Master drive is running WINXP. The same as my crahsed unit.
> Manney I will be trying out your idea of having both HD drives hooked up.
> and running Linux to access them. then I can transfer the coco archive onto
> my new XP drive.
>
> laters
>
> Briza

This will work IF the new boot drive is not formatted in NTFS, if it is you
will be able to get linux to mount it read/write but the results after that
are unpredictable at this time. It is better if you make a FAT32 partition
on the new boot drive for the files, ext2 would be a even better choice as
that is fully supported by linux and there are fully featured drivers for
Windows that allow you to mount and manipulate ext2 formatted partitions.

You can do the above via gparted in linux which is a free non destructive
partitioning tool in linux (e.g. you can resize existing partitions and add
another without loosing any data in existing partitions). An alternative to
gparted if you for some reason don't feel like trusting a linux partition
tool is a Windows based 3rd party utility such as Partition Magic but that's
not free...