[Coco] Drive freezing / data reovery (WAS: Re: Need to know if I'm in safe waters here)

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Fri Aug 3 14:13:35 EDT 2007

Brian Blake wrote:
> I'm still partial to 'platter swapping' in these events. Of courseyou
> have to have an almost identical drive to make it work, but, that
> takes the other issues out of the equation. Of course it adds other
> issues, but, if the goal is recovery of data, this option has worked
> for me everytime on drives where the spindle or head assembly quit
> working, and I've had a similar drive to the one that died...
>
> Another CoCo thread gone OT...

I think platter swapping is a better alternative, as well. It's probably
more fun, too. ;)

But, it needs to be said that Briza's HDD problem stemmed from a bad IDE
cable and the corruption resulting from it. This cannot be fixed no
matter how many times you try to freeze or swap the platters in a HDD.

What should be done, in my opinion (and with what I know being half the
world away), is that the HDD should be hooked back up, and the
information taken from it. Then a good format. Hopefully none of the
information that we crave has been damaged in the corruption from the
IDE cable. Of course, someone a little closer to Briza, preferably in
the same country as he is in, should probably give him a visit and help
him out with the problem first hand. :)

-M.