[Coco] Color test with CoCo 3

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 1 07:20:34 EDT 2007

Bob Devries wrote:
> Jim Cox said:
>
>> When I enter CLS (3) I get a blue background which is > expected, but
>> I also get the blue background when I enter CLS (7)  According to the
>> manual, I should get magenta.
>

> I found that this is the case with MESS also.
> Is this because of a limitation in the PC monitor? Or is this an error
> (bug) in MESS?
>
> --

The above is not a bug in MESS or Roy's video adapter. The USA Coco3 ROM
by default starts in CMP mode. If you look closely at the CLS3 and CLS7
colors, you will see they are different even if bluish. If you were
using a composite monitor or told MESS to emulate a CMP monitor the
colors would be correct.

With the USA ROM, you need to enter PALETTE RGB or just RGB. Then MESS
configured for an RGB monitor and the adapter will give the correct CLS
colors.