[Coco] kibibyte

mike delyea mdelyea at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 22:31:08 EDT 2007

Has anybody actually used the word kibibyte?  As in "I'm upgrading my coco
to 512 kibibytes this weekend".  I never heard of the word until I was
reading about the Tandy 1000 on Wikipedia tonight.

kibi- (Ki-)
    a binary prefix meaning 2 to the 10th power = 1024. This prefix, adopted
by the International Electrotechnical Commission in 1998, was supposed to
replace kilo- for binary applications in computer science. Thus 1024 bytes
of storage is officially a kibibyte, not a kilobyte. However, computer
professionals generally dislike this unit (they say it sounds like a cat
food) so the ambiguity in the size of a kilobyte persists. The prefix is a
contraction of "kilobinary." The symbol Ki-, rather than ki-, was chosen for
uniformity with the other binary prefixes (Mi-, Gi-, etc.).