[Coco] Need to make a game

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Aug 5 22:11:58 EDT 2007

I know I'll get some flack over this one :) but I was browsing around
to see where the links on my site lead to and yet again came across
the games listing site that shows some of my early CoCo games.  I
remember being dedicated to those little projects and how long it
took.  Those were my night owl days.

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/pelieti.html
http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/spiderhype.html
http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/spiderhyper.html

My first OS-9 program I think was called QuikSort which took the old
BBS QWK message packets and fixed them for use with the most popular
mail reader for OS-9.  I remember on some sites the QWK packets were
not uniform with those from other sites, and the author of that
reader program didn't support the different variations.  But, if you
sorted the message file and got rid of nil forum areas, etc. (I'm
kinda foggy on the details), you could download and read offline
messages from any BBS that provided QWK feeds.  You could reply
offline then upload your replies at once, saving lots of dial-up
time.  None of my OS-9 game attempts made it, but I almost finished a
Shoot-Out clone like the Atari block graphics version where two
cowboys shot through moving cactuses and barrells.  The 6309 was used
to scroll the background smoothly and with almost no noticeable
overhead.  Another game I was working on scrolled the background in
layers to give it a 3-D effect for mountains going by, but the 6309
patch for OS-9 at the time was buggy and the W register would become
corrupt after system interrupts.

My last game for the CoCo is in limbo at this time, code-named "Agent
C".  The graphics are promising, in 16 colors but giving the appeal
that the Interbank Incident game did, only this is for Disk
BASIC.  All the characters are created, but not nearly the number of
rooms desired for the game.  Only a few objects were created since
the plot was not fully decided on.  Even though I've dived into this
project on many occasions, life situations seem to keep getting in
the way, as well as my many other ongoing ordeals on the web.  If
anyone wants to work with me on this project, or take charge of it
and then let me help out where needed when I can, I feel like it can
become a reality sooner.  I already have a code-base to use from a
former unrelease audio sampler/editor program called Digi, that uses
a mouse-driven point-and-click GUI for Disk BASIC.  Agent C, the
character, would represent every CoCo user sitting at the
computer.  He goes into the Microsloth headquarters and reclaims a
stolen floppy disk from the 80's, that describes the secret 256-color
CoCo graphics mode.  In the game, Bill Gates someone obtained the
disk which is why we have no CoCo 4 (in the the game
world).  :)  That's what plot was pretty much voted on as I gathered feedback.

--
Roger Taylor