[Coco] Tiger Direct + other big companies

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Aug 2 11:12:11 EDT 2007

Big companies have big bureaucracies, period. So you have to go through
hoops to get anywhere. The last time I had a problem with an e-bay sale
through my PayPal account (guy stalled until I complained just before
the 30 day period you can file a complaint was approaching, then sent me
something and PP a receipt, PP closed the case before contacting me and
asking if I actually received the item), I had to talk to a supervisor.
The girl on the phone went through her checklist and I politely waited
for her to finish. Then I asked to speak to a supervisor. She balked a
little (as they are supposed to), and I told her I'd inform the super
that she was very helpful but I knew she had limitations. All I wanted
was for them to kick in their customer protection plan, which would cost
me a $30 processing fee (I think that's absurd, to charge for a
protection plan, but it's sort of like buying insurance only when you
need it). That would mean only a 60% recovery for me, but hey, that's
better than losing everything! The super gave me a FULL REFUND. Said the
guy had other complaints/problems, and they were going to waive the fee
and freeze his account. Never hurts to be patient!

As to Tiger, I've had good and not so good experiences with them. I've
had to return items that were defective, but it was handled well. The
only real problem I have with them is the way they advertise rebate
prices (they aren't the only ones to do this). You see a good price in
bold numbers, then in fine print "after rebate". The rebate processing
companies must make money on every rejection, because MOST rebate
programs require you to jump through hoops, and if the Is aren't all
dotted and Ts crossed, you're rejected and can't reapply. It's not just
TD. I rarely buy rebated items because of this, unless it's a good deal
without the rebate or the store offers an "instant rebate" right there.
If the manufacturer can afford a rebate program (which in the end costs
them more than the rebate -- processing and such) they can just lower
the #$%$#% price right up front. Why do they need a "loan" from me? Can
I take a product home and use it for a month or so then send them their
money??

As for the number of RMAs: TD SHOULD HAVE A LOT. You have to weigh the
number of RMAs vs. the number of sales. It may look like a lot on a
person's desk, but TD has a lot of sales per day, and those RMAs are
probably more than one days worth (might not be). The number of RMAs is
meaningless without the number of sales also. 10% is not an unreasonable
number of returns for all reasons -- defective product, customer ordered
wrong thing/didn't research product enough (that happens A LOT), etc.
10% of defects would be a lot, but there are plenty other reasons for
returns.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"