[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Manney mannslists at invigorated.org
Mon Apr 30 13:22:32 EDT 2007

John W. Linville wrote:

> And, of course, if you prefer you can download a minimal boot iso
> image and install all of Fedora (or specifically the bits you want)
> over the Internet.  It weighs-in at about 8 MB (thats Mega):
>
> 	http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/images/boot.iso
>
> I have used this method many times myself, and find it quite
> satisfactory for installing a usable base system with other software
> added via yum on an as-needed basis.
>
> Once again, the Ubuntoids (and other Deb-heads) seem to think they
> have a monopoly on all that is cool or useful in the Linux world...

Not quite. You are the only person to have mentioned that there is a way
to install Fedora without a DVD and / or a whole load of CDs. This is
all I was asking about because it seems down right ridiculous to have to
download ~3.3 Gb worth of information just to get a Linux install when
there are other distros that offer an install on just one CD. (I'm not
including DSL or Puppy, etc.) For those that have a slow internet
connection, downloading a DVD to install Linux, _then_ having to upgrade
_and_ install a load of other software (by whatever method) isn't
exactly a great option or efficient. It's not quite as bad for us with
fast connections, but there is tons of room for improvement.

As I said in a previous post, I'd rather spend 30 - 45 minutes
downloading a CD, spend another 30 minutes (at the most!) to install
Linux, spend another 15 minutes upgrading (depending on how current the
release is), and then working for an hour or two sorting out what needs
to be installed for my needs and customization. To me that beats
spending 5 - 6 hours waiting for a DVD to download just to start the
process.

Note: Nothing about Debian / Ubuntu in this post. :)

-M.