[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Sun Apr 29 14:47:24 EDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:28:32PM -0500, Joel Ewy wrote:
> Frank Pittel wrote:

> >> Yikes! 3.3 Gig? Anyone know any other distro that makes you download a
> >> DVD's worth?
> >>
> >> So far, I'm happy downloading a CD ISO (~700 Meg) for a Debian (Ubuntu
> >> specifically) based install. If something is missing from the install, I
> >> just grab (apt-get) it once the install is finished. Seems the easiest
> >> way to go for me and I get it in 30-45 minutes. :)
> >>

> > I thought that with Ubuntu you installed the base os and then installed
> > everything else over via the network install. Works alright for a single
> > machine but not terribly practical for those of us with 4-5 machines.
> >

> Depends on what you mean by "everything else".  The base system is
> pretty well appointed with end-user apps, and I usually don't have to
> install a whole lot of extra stuff just to get a system up and running.
> More importantly, there isn't a whole lot of extra junk that gets
> installed that I don't want.  With RedHat and Fedora I remember always
> thinking, "Why the heck is it installing THAT?"  I do like the idea of
> Fedora's... what is it called?  Is it "kickstart" where you can specify
> a group of packages and use it to do a custom install to a bunch of
> machines?
>
> Something like that coupled with a very small, tight base install would
> be ideal.  Come up with a base system that will fit on one of the mini
> CDs, or a 256M flash drive.  Surely you can fit a kernel plus all the
> command-line utils you could ever wish for in that amount of space.
> Then put all your selected packages on however many CD/DVD images you
> need, and you can install that on all your systems.

Redhat "borrowed" kickstart from Sun's jumpstat. When installing an OS
in an enterprise environment being able to do a network installation
is important. Running a manual<SP> install on 40-50 machines is cost
prohibitive.

With the interactive installation of Fedora you have the ability to choose
which packages to install. You don't need to install everything.

Frank