[Coco] My Linux is now online!

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Tue Apr 24 17:33:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 03:39:52PM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 03:20 PM 4/24/2007, you wrote:
>

> >I just issued "smbd -V" and it reports Version 2.2.7a so I guess I
> >have it installed.  I remember adding all the packages I could when
> >I first installed RH from the CDs.
>

> I started the Samba daemons under Linux with "smbd -D" and "nmbd -D"
> and now from Vista I see an additional LOCALHOST in my network.  But
> clicking on that brings up my own Vista directories.
>
> Linville, sorry if you're tiring of this thread.  I'm trying to port
> some of my CoCo tools over to Linux so I can make some people happy
> who have been asking me for years to "expand your horizons",
> etc.  :)  So, the first step was to get Linux online, which much to
> my disappointment, is not an automatic feature as it should be.  So I
> had to take that first step.  But don't everyone go and assume I'm
> ill-knowledged with Windows and Linux.  Rest assured, you're dealing
> with an advanced techie who just didn't want Linux online bad enough
> to ever try until now.  The learning slope goes from 1 to 100mph in
> the blink of an eye, so watch out.  :)  When I wrote the CoCo Cafe
> script and compiled it From Linux to run Under Linux, I was at
> 1mph.  Stay tuned.

Roger, it's great to hear that you finally got your linux box on
your network. I do want to make a couple of comments about the
the suggestion to updgrade to a later release of linux has a lot to
do with the fact that over time there has been changes made to the
way networks are configured and the tools available to configure
thing like the network. Over the years the tools to do this have
gotten better and easier to use. As I think mentioned in an earlier
message in this thread when installing fedora the installation
program prompts you to configure a network connection. The default
is to configure it to use dhcp. This means that before the
installation program installs any files or even formats your drive
the network is configured. I'm sure you'll agree that it doesn't get
any easier then that!!

As far as the learning curve goes I think that over time you'll find
that the amount of knowledge needed to administer both windows and
llinux is about the same. The difference is that with linux you need
to start out with more knowledge then you do with windows. This
results in the very steep learning curve that you and others
have/are encountering.

I'm also excisted about having a linux version of your ide!!! :-)

Frank