[Coco] Linux box needs ethernet connection to router/web/LAN

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Tue Apr 24 11:58:44 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2007, Roger Taylor wrote:
>> As some of you might know, I have never gotten any Red Hat Linux
>> version I've owned connected to the web or to another computer.  In
>> other words, the main feature of Linux (networking) has yet to work for me.
>>
>> What I want to do now is connect the dern thing to my Windows LAN and
>> give it access to the web and possibly the other PCs shared folders,
>> if anything.
>>
>> I use a LinkSys WRT54G 802.11 wireless router with 4 ethernet ports
>> on the back.  This works great from Windows, and it's a broadband
>> router as well so every PC has access to the web automatically.
>>
>> Since Linux is "supposed" to be smart like this, I assume I can
>> connect that PC to the router and do minimal configurations to get it
>> online.
>>
>> The Linux box will be used for compiling CGI-BIN scripts mainly.  The
>> CoCo Cafe is one of those scripts I need to update.  But I don't want
>> to have to keep moving the binary back over to Windows just to upload
>> it to my server.  This required in the past a common hard drive I
>> formatted from Windows using FAT and then had it automounted under
>> Linux.  (My Linux box is a dual-boot Windows/Linux PC), but I ditched
>> the Windows drive recently in favor of laptops.
>>
>> So, the old DEV1 tower PC, as I called it, is now just running
>> Linux.  I will also get CCASM working for Linux if I can get my
>> network set up right under Linux.
>>
>> Can someone walk me through the steps they would take from scratch
>> for making Red Had 9 ready to connect to a router and on the web?
>>
>> By the way, I also recently upgraded the firmware on my LinkSys
>> router to DD-WRT which is actually running under Linux on the
>> router!  This hack is one of the best kept "secrets" for routers, and
>> I've now got software power boosting for the antennas, the ability to
>> act as a client to another router, and much more.  The modes are
>> there for almost anything, unlike the limited modes of the stock
>> firmware (which is already powerful, as it is).  So you can imagine
>> why LinkSys has done everything it can to keep Linux hackers from
>> taking control of newer versions of their router.  However, they keep
>> doing it anyway!  :)
>>
>> I've got etc/hosts set with hostname = localhost
>> Is that correct?
>> The eth0 device I think is set to use IRQ7.  The PC has a PCI
>> ethernet card called Network Everywhere or something like that, the
>> one Walmart used to sell for about $20.  It has always worked
>> flawlessly for Windows networking.
>
> First off Roger, Red Hat 9 is now very very old & gray, and has long since
> used up its allotted social security account.  Its an orphan, with no
> security updates for several years now.
>
> 2nd, go into your routers web page and setup a dhcp server if its not already
> done.  I too use that best kept secret, dd-wrt, but running on an old 500mhz
> k6-iii box, no drives, just a half gig cf card it thinks is a hard drive so
> [...]

I'd have to agree with Gene here. RH9 is ancient. I know we're a group
of vintage hardware/software enthusiasts, but I'd strongly suggest using
a more modern Linux distro. If you want to stick with Red Hat, Fedora
Core or Centos are good choices (I've had better luck with FC) and a
bunch of folks are doing the Ubuntu thing, so plenty of community
knowledge there.

Yeah, I may work at the evil empire, but I'm a linux guy at heart. My
first linux install was slackware 0.9, distributed on about 50 floppy disks.

Ah, those were the days :)

-Mike