[Coco] Linux box needs ethernet connection to router/web/LAN

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 24 10:22:23 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Manney wrote:
>Manney wrote:
>
>I'm getting really pissed off with this thing now! (No comments about
>Thunderbird, please! ;) )

Then you have emil on a different subnet entirely and may have to jump through
flaming hoops to get the routing to work.

It is much preferred to have everything on the same subnet, and as part of my
own security model, I don't use the common, everybodies routers default to it
192.168.1.1.  As none of the 192.168.x.x is ever transmitted across a router
to the modem/wan port by any compliant router without the router invoking
some iptables NAT and MASQUERADE rules, one can reset the 192.168.1.1 to
192.168.xx.1 where xx is the subdomain your network is on, but the xx, at
least in a home network environment (depends on your MASK, usually
255.255.255.0) must match for all machines.  That gives you 253 usable
addresses and that should be enough for most home networks.  If you need >254
<510 addresses, then the mask becomes 255.255.240.0 etc etc.

Here I use an /etc/hosts file which contains the FQDN to address relations for
all local machines, including some that are history.  Yours could resemble
this in format:
================
127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
192.168.xx.	domain	coyote.den
192.168.xx.1	router.coyote.den	router
# this is my old, now shutdown firewall box
# 192.168.xx.1	gene.coyote.den		gene
# and my poor old amiga 2k if I ever resuscitate it
192.168.xx.2	amiga.coyote.den	amiga
192.168.xx.3	coyote.coyote.den	coyote
192.168.xx.4	shop.coyote.den		shop
192.168.xx.15	ipaq.coyote.den		ipaq
192.168.xx.101	wap11.coyote.den	wap11
# my lappy comes in on dhcp so this is _usually_ correct
192.168.xx.104  diablo.coyote.den	diablo

I hope this helps explain the network requirements, at least for this aspect
of it, for those who are just now getting their feet wet.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)