[Coco] Linux box needs ethernet connection to router/web/LAN

Manney mannslists at invigorated.org
Tue Apr 24 05:09:27 EDT 2007

Roger Taylor wrote:
> As some of you might know, I have never gotten any Red Hat Linux version
> I've owned connected to the web or to another computer.  In other words,
> the main feature of Linux (networking) has yet to work for me.

> Can someone walk me through the steps they would take from scratch for
> making Red Had 9 ready to connect to a router and on the web?

Why do you need to use RedHat 9? Can you upgrade to a Fedora Core? Or
better yet, IMNSHO, can you upgrade to Ubuntu? ;)

Feisty Fawn (Ubuntu 7.04), which was just released, had good support for
wireless but it depends on which wireless card your using as well. (This
goes for any distro.) All I had to do with my unsupported card is
install Ndiswrapper + the Winders driver and then Network Manager
worked. With Edgy Eft (Ubuntu 6.10), I had to do the Ndiswrapper stuff
/and/ compile Network Manager, which was a royal pain in the arse.

> I've got etc/hosts set with hostname = localhost
> Is that correct?

Although it was setup by the install script, I don't have that line in
my /etc/hosts. The relevant part of my script reads:

> mannequin at emil:~$ cat /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 127.0.1.1       emil

'emil' being my laptop's name.

> The eth0 device I think is set to use IRQ7.  The PC has a PCI ethernet
> card called Network Everywhere or something like that, the one Walmart
> used to sell for about $20.  It has always worked flawlessly for Windows
> networking.

I believe that Network Everywhere is cheap Linksys. I seem to remember
something like that for something I bought at Wally World about a year
ago...

-M.