[Coco] FREE Services For Members Of The CoCoList at Malted Media

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Fri Apr 20 11:08:47 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that coco at yourdvd.net may have mentioned these words:
>i've got the 3 8 and 9 chip versions. My question is, do i need to
>verify that they are 256k or if i send larger simms (they're all 30
>pin), as long as they are 8/9 chip, will they work as 256k simms in
>your card? i can plug up and old 486 and verify them if i need to. I
>bought a lot of them because i thought i might need them one day.
>Bought all i could find regardless of mem size, but i want to make sure
>i send useable simms. -r

Only the 8 or 9 chip 256K Simms (the 9th chip is parity, which is ignored)
will work on a CoCo - Mark already educamated me on that fact in the past.
It all has to do with DRAM timing issues, and the 1Mbit chips just aren't
refreshed the same as the 256kbit chips.

I have 80 1Meg 9-chip 30-pin Simms available from an old DEC 3-processor
486 server, it rather sucks that I can't use any of them for any of my CoCo
(or other classic) equipment. I wish I had enough knowledge to make 'em
into a nice 80Meg Solid State Drive ... IMHO that would be kewl beyond belief!

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | Anarchy doesn't scale well. -- Me
zmerch at 30below.com.         |