[Coco] CPU speed in MIPS

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 20 09:52:50 EDT 2007

Diego Barizo wrote:
> All the tests were performed on real computers, not emulators.
> The first one is just a FOR A=1 TO 1000 / NEXT A
> The second is
> 10 FOR A=1 TO 5000
> 20 A=A+1
> 30 NEXT A
> 40 CLS
>
> The 3rd
> 10 FOR A=1 TO 1000
> 20 PRINT"A"
> 30 NEXT A
> 40 CLS
>
> 4th
> 10 FOR A=1 TO 5000
> 20 GOTO 30
> 30 NEXT A
> 40 CLS
>
> 5th
> 10 FOR A=1 TO 5000
> 20 GOSUB 60
> 30 NEXT A
> 40 CLS
> 50 END
> 60 RETURN
>
> and the last
> 10 FOR A=1 TO 5000
> 20 IF A>6000 THEN END
> 30 NEXT A
> 40 CLS
>
> The final line was to give me a good visual clue of the program
> finishing, and in some BASICs had to be changed.
>
> If anyone can test some extra machines, or maybe double check the ones I
> did....
> All the times are seconds, measured by looking at a PC's clock :-S
>
> Diego

That's a good way to compare versions of Basic but not necessarily
machine speed. You could have a very slow version of Basic running on a
very fast computer.

Diego, if you included a table of times for some standard loop of
assembly code, then you could distinguish between CPU processing speed
and Basic efficiency.