[Coco] CPU speed in MIPS

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Apr 19 23:25:12 EDT 2007

Diego Barizo wrote:
> I've got a few numbers from the wikipedia, but most are of "modern" CPUs
> I know about the issues that comparing MIPS present, but I don't think
> that there are many ways to compare computers from the 80s.
> Anyway, I did some BASIC tests, and came up with some unexpected results
>
> Surprisingly, the high speed poke turns a sluggish CoCo into a PC
> killer (The T.1100 laptop)
> The poor rating on the Print test for the CoCo 3 is because I used one
> of the hi-res text modes.
> But anyway, the CoCo3 seems slower than a 2. Might be because the 3 is
> always in "all RAM"?

Interesting stuff, Diego.  Are the numbers seconds?  I wonder if the
speed differences between the CoCo 2 and CoCo 3 might be due to
differences in the BASIC code.  I haven't studied the Unravelled books
much, so this may be completely off.  But are we changing the jump
tables by adding more commands in the CoCo 3?  Is it taking longer to
traverse a list?

JCE