[Coco] [OT] Z80 still being used in modern electronics

John Guin johnguin at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 15 17:56:31 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I've been looking into getting an update for my old HP calculator.  I was
looking at the Texas Instruments line and saw they have an SDK for their
TI-83 calculator.

I downloaded it to see what tools they have available and was surprised to
see their "state of the art" calculator uses the ol' Z80.

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/appsdelivery/download/download_eula.
jsp?cid=us&displayMode=G&applicationid=6142&contentpaneid=28

I would have thought there was a faster or lower power (wattage) or higher
power (CPU cycles) or otherwise better CPU to use by now, but what do I
know?

Thought I'd pass this along,
John

PS: to tie this into the Coco, I hope they upgrade their calculators to the
6809 soon <g>.