[Coco] P-3

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Apr 7 15:35:36 EDT 2007

At 09:07 AM 4/7/2007, you wrote:
>Roger Taylor wrote:
>
>>Speaking of my Projector-3 viewer. Somewhere in time over the past
>>4 years, the GIF driver apparently developed a bug in the Encoder
>>routines.  Can someone please  confirm this to be true or
>>not?  Someone reported that GIF images were being created that
>>couldn't be viewed.
>>P-3 always rendered and created GIF87A and GIF89A fine so I'm not
>>sure what has happened, but I want to fix it.
>
>These comments are based on the source included with RainbowIDE.
>
>The apple.gif included with the project is a good 89a gif file and
>loads into P3 or any other viewer. All attempts to save this file
>from P3 using Create and Save result in an "87a" image. I can't find
>a way to force the save or maybe create to use the 89a format.
>
>The saved image can't be opened with any other than P3. The format
>is indicated as not valid. Examination of the raw file shows that
>the name is GIF87A which is not correct. It should be GIF87a and
>when changed, the image can be opened in some but not all viewers.
>WinXP Picture and Fax Viewer won't open it Mozilla, LView and Paint
>Shop Pro will.
>
>Additionally using Paint Shop Pro, the new 87a image is not the
>correct size. What started as 214x199x256 has become 320x200x16.
>Since I did not check the P3 source code, I don't know how much of
>this is intentional. Perhaps the decrease in color count is required
>but I'd think the size should not be changed.

Perhaps Paint Sho Pro is getting corrupt info and trying to repair
the picture, making it 320x200.

P-3 originally created GIF89A formatted GIF files.  If you don't make
GIF89A data blocks, GIF89A should still load on most GIF viewers that
don't enforce GIF87A only, since unknown blocks are ignored, much
like odd HTML tags are ignored in web pages.  :)

I tried to speed up the GIF encoder some years ago and maybe a bug
was introduced.  When I have time, I'll fix it in the Rainbow IDE distro.

--
Roger Taylor