[Coco] P-3

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Fri Apr 6 22:55:41 EDT 2007

At 10:59 AM 4/6/2007, you wrote:
>You can't go wrong buying from Cloud-9! I would suggest a CoCo 3 with
>the 512K SIMM upgrade, Protector and 6309 CPU - Then you'll be set :-)
>(Roger T.'s awesome Projector 3 needs the 6309 and some other software
>as well. Certainly makes NITROS09 SHINE.) -r

Speaking of my Projector-3 viewer. Somewhere in time over the past 4
years, the GIF driver apparently developed a bug in the Encoder
routines.  Can someone please  confirm this to be true or
not?  Someone reported that GIF images were being created that
couldn't be viewed.

P-3 always rendered and created GIF87A and GIF89A fine so I'm not
sure what has happened, but I want to fix it.

For those who are lost on this... Projector-3 is a 512k multiviewer
for the CoCo3.  It requires a 6309 CPU upgrade.  P-3 can view MANY
picture formats, then let you resave them into GIF, CoCoMax-3,
ColorMax Deluxe, The Rat Graphics Design Package, IFF, and lots
more.  You can even view the 4096-color Amiga HAM pictures (special
IFF ILBM format), Macintosh pics, old Compuserve RLE pictures, and
more goodies.  You can view text files, do printouts of your pictures
in grayscale on EPSON ESC/P2 compatible printers (I think that's the format).

P-3 was my longest running CoCo project ever, taking more development
hours than I will ever disclose or admit to.  I was a night owl.  A
zombie.  I never slept, for years (just kidding), made it through a
divorce and P-3 kept on ticking, every time I broke up with a
girlfriend, I fell back into improving P-3, and the final result is
now a free download on CoCo3.com.  It used to sell for $45 and did
very well, but all good things die, so I went public domain with it.

It's also available as a Rainbow IDE project, and is included with
the IDE!  This means you can write new CODECs for the system.  Robert
Gault wrote a Windows BMP (bitmap) viewer, which is a drop-in file
that P-3 recognizes when you boot up.  When I wrote P-3, I made it
expandable.  It's really a graphics operating system, complete with a
separate Video Array Driver, Codec modules, the main core, and
external Print and Command modules.  The Command Modules are called
when you hit ALT + the key for that module, as in mirror.ecm   The
ec<m> means ALT-M will mirror the picture on the screen.  The .EC?
files can be compact games or whatever else that calls on the
graphics system's built-in routines for clearing the screen, plotting
colors, setting the palettes, and more.

Have fun.

--
Roger Taylor