[Coco] Pac-Man and Donkey Kong Challenge

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Apr 5 13:32:25 EDT 2007

Jim Hickle wrote:
> Boisy,
>
> Don't have enough experience with sound & graphics to produce a Pac-Man,
> but am looking for a project. Hate to reinvent what's already available, though.
> Do we already have any decent text editors for NitrOS-9?  I looked on RTSI but only found sled.  Don't remember much about sled but there must have been some reason I kept using tsedit.
My recollections of sled are that it was almost, but not quite, half-way
usable.  I believe source was included.  Maybe its usability could be
improved.  It would be nice if there were a good, easy-to-use
screen-oriented editor that could be distributed along with NitrOS-9.
FWIW, I use TSEDIT also, with the 'vi' patch.

Another good project would be to add wildcard support to the shell and
utils.  I remember using some hacked-up version of shell+ along with (at
least) copy and move utilities that added wildcards back in the day.  I
haven't found such in current versions of NitrOS-9.  Maybe I'm just
missing the magic incantations.  It'd sure be nice to just 'copy ^32 *
/dd/cmds' and then get on with other work in another window.

A better, end-user-oriented bootfile generator would be nice.  Something
that keeps track of the size of the bootfile as you add and remove
modules, and displays a running tally of stats on the screen.  Maybe
even an optional GUI front-end, so you can click on modules with the
mouse to add or remove them from the list..  Then click a button and it
will build the bootfile and save it.  Highlight a disk icon and click
another button and it will ezegen it in place.

How about some header files, documentation, etc, to aid in the creation
of subroutine modules.  I've long thought that that was one of the most
neglected features of OS-9.  Apparently they are somewhat complicated to
write.  But a few appropriately selected, shared subroutine modules
could add a lot of functionality to multiple applications at the cost of
comparatively little memory.  Text and graphics processing routines come
to mind as potentially useful shared runtime libraries.  This can tie
back into a text editor project, and also a GUI bootfile editor...

JCE