[Coco] Linux box needs ethernet connection to router/web/LAN

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Apr 23 22:27:18 EDT 2007

As some of you might know, I have never gotten any Red Hat Linux
version I've owned connected to the web or to another computer.  In
other words, the main feature of Linux (networking) has yet to work for me.

What I want to do now is connect the dern thing to my Windows LAN and
give it access to the web and possibly the other PCs shared folders,
if anything.

I use a LinkSys WRT54G 802.11 wireless router with 4 ethernet ports
on the back.  This works great from Windows, and it's a broadband
router as well so every PC has access to the web automatically.

Since Linux is "supposed" to be smart like this, I assume I can
connect that PC to the router and do minimal configurations to get it online.

The Linux box will be used for compiling CGI-BIN scripts mainly.  The
CoCo Cafe is one of those scripts I need to update.  But I don't want
to have to keep moving the binary back over to Windows just to upload
it to my server.  This required in the past a common hard drive I
formatted from Windows using FAT and then had it automounted under
Linux.  (My Linux box is a dual-boot Windows/Linux PC), but I ditched
the Windows drive recently in favor of laptops.

So, the old DEV1 tower PC, as I called it, is now just running
Linux.  I will also get CCASM working for Linux if I can get my
network set up right under Linux.

Can someone walk me through the steps they would take from scratch
for making Red Had 9 ready to connect to a router and on the web?

By the way, I also recently upgraded the firmware on my LinkSys
router to DD-WRT which is actually running under Linux on the
router!  This hack is one of the best kept "secrets" for routers, and
I've now got software power boosting for the antennas, the ability to
act as a client to another router, and much more.  The modes are
there for almost anything, unlike the limited modes of the stock
firmware (which is already powerful, as it is).  So you can imagine
why LinkSys has done everything it can to keep Linux hackers from
taking control of newer versions of their router.  However, they keep
doing it anyway!  :)

I've got etc/hosts set with hostname = localhost
Is that correct?
The eth0 device I think is set to use IRQ7.  The PC has a PCI
ethernet card called Network Everywhere or something like that, the
one Walmart used to sell for about $20.  It has always worked
flawlessly for Windows networking.

--
Roger Taylor