[Coco] Importing CCRs

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Sun Apr 1 04:05:05 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Yes, the original kraft paper was replaced by a plastic film, and the
> coatings also improved with better binders & other metals alloyed into
> the rouge, finally getting so smooth that head wear was much less of a
> problem.  Now, its only really abrasive in high humidity conditions.
> Keep it at less than 20% RH, and the wear is almost a non-factor.

Well there is another fun fact! I did not know that humidity had any
effect on head wear. I assume you are primarily talking about those
machines that use some kind of drum? According to the humidity meter it
is 48% in my house. What kind of wear am I going to see?

> In the '70's when I worked for NETV, at one location out in Nebraska there
> was 3 of those 2" wide quadruplex machines in their own air conditioned,
> dehumidified room, being used for the one hour time delay by the NETV
> commission network since NE has 2 time zones.  A roll of tape went on
> those machines and didn't come back off for months, just recorded,
> rewound and played, rewound and re-recorded, wash, rinse, repeat,
> 19/7/365. They knew the head life they were getting was good but it was
> really driven home when they had a rotary transformer in one of them
> fail, and it was only a cheap 100 hour rated head.  Checking the books,
> that head then had 7800 hours on it.  The head re-builder fixed the
> transformer for nothing, said the tips were fine & sent it back.  It ran
> to something over the 11 thousand hour mark, but that was typical.  No
> food, smoking or anything else was allowed in that room.  11,000 hours
> from a 100 hour pro-rated head is pretty good IMO.  At most stations, the
> budgeted cost for operating expense on those was $20/hour, 15 of it due
> to head wear.  The other 5 was how much more a tech that understood them
> cost to keep on the payroll...

Uhm. A what? What is a quadruplex machine? Was the humidity connection
not well known?

kevin