[Coco] OT: Amstrad Penpad... melting?

George's Coco Address yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Thu Sep 28 00:49:39 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diego Barizo"

>A few weeks ago, I noticed that my Amstrad Penpad seems to be melting.
> I guess that at some point it was cleaned with some product that should
> not have been used, and now it's sticky, just as if the plastic material
> was melting very slowly. Anyone has any suggestions about how to solve
> this problem?
>
> Diego

 Years ago, I made the mistake of using Armorall on my BMW saddle bags. They
began to crumble on the surface. I had to literally scrape off the crumbling
outer surface and sand and polish the things to stop the decay.
 I've also seen some man-made things like that just de-compose. Perhaps
there is nothing you can do to stop this. I've seen drive belts in tape
recorders turn into a gooey, sticky liquid over time. I found no solvent to
clean up the mess. I had to just rub it firmly with a rag to remove the goo.

 Take it apart and see if it's doing the same thing on the inside. If not,
then you may be correct that something was introduced on the outer surface
to cause this. You might have to remove the outer surface as I did with the
saddle bags to stop the progress.

 Bummer!

George