[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Create NitrOS9 L1 boot disk for Dragon with F...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 26 12:51:32 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 11:47, Chen Herzog wrote:
>Since on the Dragon (at least the Tano Dragon) the 6809 is socketed,
>upgrading to a 6309 should be a snap.
>
>And with the Dragon's true serial port, I wonder what would be the
>communication speed that could be achieved under NitrOS9?

With an rs-232 pack, and earlier versions of nitros9, I felt it was the
speed that could be obtained from rz/sz that counted most, and that was
just short of 740 cps.  That compared to 430 cps with normal os9. That was
with a null modem cable to my amiga, where term, V4.7 had an excellent
data rate display.

Without the admittedly huge overhead of rz/sz, I expect it could have made
the full 56k under ideal conditions, but not while writing the file data,
or reading it to send.  Raw speed for 10 milliseconds isn't exactly a real
world test IMO.  Neither is zmodem, with its character at a time crc
calculations, but thats what I was stuck with.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)